Posts

Featured Post

Fort Firca

The fort still known with its Turkish name, Firca (Firka = barracks) was built in order to protect the entrance of the harbour. A thick chain from Firca to the base of the light-house closed the harbour in case of siege. The fort was the headquarters of the Military Commander of the city.

The inside area was divided into barracks and ammunition warehouses. The buildings of the west wing have two-floors with dome covered rooms.

Over the door of the first floor there is the following inscription : “ALOYSIUS BRAGADEUS PROVISOR CYDONIAE M. DCXX”. In the centre of the court, there is a large water reservoir, where the water running from the roofs was collected. In the period of the Turkish occupation and until fairly recently, Firca was used as military barracks and a prison.

The flag of the Unification of Crete to Greece was symbolically raised on the corner watch-tower on 1st December 1913.
Recent posts